Please forward to potential candidates: https://www.giz.de/Entwicklungsdienst/de/html/1704.html?JobMarketParams=beesite=_6e262223670c0552b8579193520439cd34e9fe6eb70a0a39&JobMarketParams=beesite=_6e262223670c0552b8579193520439cd34e9fe6eb70a0a39
Development Worker for Monitoring and Evaluation in Aquaculture with French NGO
Field of activity
The Development Worker (DW) will support the French NGO APDRA, which is developing the fish farming sector in Madagascar, to improve their Monitoring & Evaluation System and to introduce Impact Monitoring. The project is part of the BMZ’s special initiative One World No Hunger(SEWOH) which has the target to reduce poverty and hunger. APDRA develops fish farming models with low-level input and in an environmentally sustainable way. These fish farming models aim at supplying fish at an affordable price for vulnerable populations, and as a response to depleted wild fish stocks. The focus is on carp culture in rice fields. APDRA offers extensive experience in the field of strengthening farmer organizations, and in the provision of technical assistance for the training of fish farmers.
As part of the Global Program for Sustainable Fisheries and Aquaculture APDRA will extend rice fish farming in the highlands of Madagascar. The aim is to increase fish production and to further distribute the technique. The main principles are: Integrating fish farming into the local agricultural system, using existing knowledge, development of producer networks, promotion of participatory management.
The smallholders are expected to benefit from the intervention by increased supply of fish as protein and nutrient source as well as by additional income generated from fingerling production and fish sales. In the long term an increased production and reduced fish prices on the local markets is seen as a contribution to food security. M&E will help to improve continuously the technique and trainings.
- Your main task will be to improve the existing Monitoring & Evaluation system, to develop indicators for impact monitoring and to implement the impact monitoring system, together with APDRA colleagues.
- After having identified adequate parameters to collect data for the improved M&E system, you will set up a database and analyze the results, in order to give recommendations for further interventions.
- You will work closely with the local M&E responsible and give trainings for the local partners who shall participate in data collection and analysis and also in the formulation of impact indicators.
- You will support the local team in interview techniques for adequate data collection.
- Regular meetings with the Projects Implementing Responsible in Antananarivo to report and match with M&E requirements of the GV.
You offer the following qualifications
- Experience in Monitoring & Evaluation Systems, especially Impact Monitoring
- Handling of socioeconomic Data: collection, household surveys, data filing, analyzing (e.g. Excel, Access)
- Driver’s license (international), be ready to learn driving motorbike or scooter
- Be ready to do frequent field missions (short term) in remote areas
You offer the following competencies
- Experience in interview techniques
- Experience in Agronomy or Value Chain approach
- Interest in aquaculture (rice fish farming) and ecological and social aspects thereof
- GIS experience
- Be ready to learn the Malagasy language
Conditions regarding location
- place of residence: Antsirabe
- climate: Tropical high land climate, rainy season from October to March, cold temperatures in southern winter
- healthcare: Adequate medical care by local doctors, 2 embassy accredited doctors, 3.5 h drive to the capital
- supply and shopping facilities: Good shopping possibilities, also for European articles (French supermarkets)
- accessibility: Some well-developed streets, several bus connections to the capital
- school situation and school fees: French school in the town (Antsirabe) for children from 5 to 16 years, high school in the capital. Collège français Jules-Verne. School fees are reimbursed according to GIZ rules.
security: Calm city, pleasant climate, good security situation
French and either English or German are mandatory for this position. Basic knowledge of French is acceptable if the applicant is prepared to participate in a 4 week intensive French training course.
If we have awakened your interest we are looking forward to your bilingual application in German/English, German/French or English/French.
We offer you the opportunity to work in an innovative and worldwide operating institution related to development policy. Your competencies and qualifications are demanded on the spot in an interdisciplinary team. The Development Service of GIZ offers a comprehensive service package. It includes a specific technical and personal preparation. Your contract period is at least 24 months with the option of extension.
Information on the service package
GIZ’s Development Service is looking forward to applications of candidates with a professional qualification and / or university degree and at least two years of professional experience. In addition you hold the German nationality or the nationality of a member state of the European Union.
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. If you should not be able to post an application via the system, you are welcome to contact the person indicated at the end of the job description.
Please check after your application regularly the spam and junk mail folder of your mail account, since the e-mails of the recruiting system are categorized as spam by some providers.
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until September 03,2017.